LAKELAND (Sept. 14, 2020) – The U.S. News & World Report’s “Best Colleges” guide ranks Florida Southern in the top 10 in three categories in its 2021 edition, released today. FSC is ranked No. 9 among the Best Regional Universities in the South, moving up a slot from its 2020 ranking. FSC again is the only Polk County school to be included in the top 10.
The annual college guide from U.S. News & World Report also lists Florida Southern at No. 6 in its Best Undergraduate Teaching in the South category, which recognizes colleges that have a strong commitment to undergraduate teaching. FSC is also ranked as the ninth “Most Innovative” school in the South.
The College is additionally ranked among the top 20 Best Value Universities in the South, which compares academic quality to cost of attendance. And, for the third year, FSC appears in the national Best Undergraduate Business Programs listing.
“Florida Southern is consistently ranked among the most elite colleges and universities, and this year’s multiple top 10 U.S. News & World Report rankings are no exception,” said FSC President Anne Kerr. “ This is an important confirmation that Florida Southern is among the best academic institutions in the nation. I am particularly pleased with our No. 6 undergraduate teaching ranking, which is a tribute to our outstanding faculty.”
U.S. News & World Report has been producing college rankings since 1983 and uses academic data surveys and third-party sources to calculate rankings based on school groupings established by the Carnegie Classification of Institutions of Higher Education and determined by each school’s academic mission. Regional universities, offering a wide range of undergraduate degrees and some master’s programs but limited doctoral programs, are ranked against peer-group schools in four geographical regions: North, South, Midwest and West.
Florida Southern is consistently recognized for academic excellence by top college guides:
- For the 11th consecutive year, FSC was recognized as one of the nation’s outstanding institutions for undergraduate education through its inclusion in The Princeton Review’s 2021 “Best 386 Colleges” guide. Only about 14 percent of four-year colleges nationwide are profiled in the guidebook, which compiles its ranking lists based on data from student satisfaction surveys. FSC was the only institution in Florida to be included in the Top 20 of the publication’s Most Beautiful Campus ranking.
- FSC was selected as one of just 12 Florida-based institutions to be featured in the “2020-2021 Colleges of Distinction” listing, which recognizes excellence in student engagement, teaching, community, and outcomes.
- The “Fiske Guide to Colleges 2021,” the 37th edition of the leading college guide on the market, profiles FSC among the 300-plus institutions it identifies as the “best and most interesting” colleges in the nation.
- Forbes magazine highlights FSC in its annual guide, “America’s Top Colleges,” a ranking that focuses solely on the direct benefits a school provides its students in areas such as entrepreneurship, success, impact, and the consumer experience.
- Money magazine’s “Best Colleges 2020” lists FSC in its survey of the Best Colleges in America, Ranked by Value.
About Florida Southern College
Founded in 1883, Florida Southern College is the oldest private college in Florida. The College maintains its commitment to academic excellence through 70+ undergraduate programs and distinctive graduate programs in business administration, education, nursing, and physical therapy. Florida Southern has a 14:1 student-to-faculty ratio; is an award-winning national leader in engaged learning; and boasts 30 NCAA Division II national championships. It is ranked among the top 10 Regional Universities in the South by U.S. News and World Report in its 2021 “Best Colleges” guide, and is included in The Princeton Review’s 2021 “386 Best Colleges” guide, the “Fiske Guide to Colleges 2021,” and Forbes magazine’s “America’s Top Colleges” guide. The College is committed to the development of the whole student through vibrant student life programs that prepare graduates to make a positive, consequential impact on society. FSC is conveniently located within an hour’s drive of both Orlando and Tampa. FSC is home to the world’s largest single-site collection of Frank Lloyd Wright architecture and was designated a National Historic Landmark in 2012. Named the “Most Beautiful Campus in the Nation” for two consecutive years by The Princeton Review and one of the nation’s “Ten College Campuses with the Best Architecture” by Architectural Digest, Florida Southern is an internationally-recognized place of beauty and academic excellence.